Home>For Adults>Supported Living
You want to enjoy your independence and fill your life with what’s important to you. Perhaps you’d like to meet new people or become more active in your community. Or you may want to explore your interests and learn where your passions lie. You might also want the chance to improve skills that are important to your daily life.
At Looking Upwards, we bring our more than 35 years of experience to helping people with developmental disabilities create a comfortable home life and greater satisfaction in all areas of life.
Looking Upwards’ Supported Living services will assist you to create a lifestyle you’ll enjoy. We’ll help you to develop a vision and plan for your life. As you move forward, our caring and conscientious staff will walk alongside you to support you at those times when you need it.
For example, we might assist you to:
- Meet new friends
- Create a circle of support in your life
- Sharpen your safety skills
- Become active in your community
- Learn to manage your money
- Find transportation options
- Develop healthy habits
- Expand your cooking skills
- Pursue your hobbies and interests
- Try new experiences
- Take care of your health
- Nurture your wellbeing
- Enhance your self-care
- Assert yourself
- Successfully manage challenging parts of your daily routine
What you can count on:
- As you share what’s important to you. We will listen. We will help you explore and move towards living the life you desire.
- Our competent staff is well-trained and skillful in supporting you in all areas of your life.
- Your personal safety is of the utmost importance and will be a focus throughout all we do together.
- You will have our support in creating your social network and staying connected to the people who are important to you.
- We will encourage you to expand into new areas of growth.
- We will honor your right to make choices and safeguard your right to take reasonable risks as you shape your life.
What to expect:
- At the outset of services, we’ll listen carefully to what you want for your life.
- Together we’ll develop a personalized plan, which is called a support agreement.
- Your support team will include a nurse, psychologist, service coordinator, team director and direct support professionals. Your team may also include physical, occupational and speech therapists as needed.
- Your service coordinator will help map out a transition plan with you and your family. You will have the opportunity to meet any prospective apartment mates and get comfortable in your new home.
- Your new staff will create a partnership with you and your family, walking together towards your goals.
- In your daily life, your staff will provide caring and competent support.
- Annually, whoever is part of your personal network - your family, friends, social worker, and team - will come together to celebrate your accomplishments and to support you to create your vision for the coming year.
- You must be approved for funding through the State of Rhode Island, Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD).
- Your DDD social worker must have recommended you for Supported Living.
- Administrator, Tanya Howard at 401-847-0960 ext. 27 or email Tanya