Home>For Adults>Employment Services
Looking for work isn’t easy. Getting a job you enjoy that pays a competitive wage frequently requires determination and skill. And along the way there are many questions to answer:
“What kind of work do I really want to do?”
“What skills do I need to be successful?”
“There are jobs out there, but how do I get the doors to open?”
If you have a developmental disability, finding the right match for employment and having the proper support may be essential for your vocational success. At Looking Upwards, we offer personalized services to assist you in finding and maintaining rewarding work.
Through these services you might:
- Explore the local employment market
- Build a resume
- Learn how to present yourself at an interview
- Clarify your interests and goals
- Develop job skills
- Obtain satisfying work
- Gain skill in using public transportation
- Develop safety awareness
- Navigate stressful situations appropriately
- Learn how to communicate in the workplace
- Build relationships to assist with independence
Our services are individualized. When it comes to finding satisfying work, we want to know what is important to you as a job seeker. Is it a paycheck? We’ll help you find the right job earning a competitive wage.
We also understand that you are likely looking for more than just a paycheck. Perhaps it’s about connections with co-workers, the satisfaction of a job well done and the chance to make a contribution. Our job developers will assist you in determining your preferences and finding a job that is the right match.
No matter what age or what level of experience, we offer job seekers personalized, full-service vocational support. From exploring job interests, to finding the right job, to developing the skills you’ll need for success, our job developers will support you every step of the way.
What to expect:
- Our job developers will help you to clarify your interests and employment goals.
- Together we’ll develop your employment plan.
- We’ll assist you with a job search.
- You’ll receive our support with your resume and job interviews.
- We’ll help you identify your transportation options.
- Our job developers will provide on-the-job training.
- Through an assessment, we’ll identify and put in place any necessary accommodations so you can do your work.
- We’ll help you build relationships at work that will support your independence.
- In some circumstances, we may stay connected with your employer and offer guidance and support.
- Vocational reports, summarizing your progress, will be available to you and your funding source at the completion of services.
- In some situations, we may provide long-term job coaching to support your success
- Persons that have been found eligible for services through the Rhode Island Department of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) or the Office of Rehabilitative Services (ORS).
- These services are also available to individuals on a fee for service basis.
- Jenn Szcesniak, Lead Employment Team Coordinator at 401.847.0960
ext. 67 or email