Home>For Adults>Day Enrichment Services
day enrichment services
Come be part of a dynamic learning center without walls. If you’re looking to expand your connections, grow your talents, experience adventure and explore your community, our unique day-support services may be just right for you.
You know that there’s a life rich in potential waiting for you. New things to explore. New people to meet. New ways to express yourself. You sense your untapped talents. You want an opportunity to learn and grow and challenge yourself.
Having a developmental disability needn’t be a barrier to creating the kind of day you want. You’ll discover a whole new world through Looking Upwards' day enrichment.
We offer a wealth of experiences at our enrichment studios, with a new schedule of classes and activities coming out every month. As well, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy your community. You may find yourself joining a walking club, strolling on the beach or taking a class at the Newport Art Museum. You might participate in yoga, basketball or creative movement at a local YMCA. The choice is yours to create.
Through participation in day enrichment, you’ll:
- Watch your passions come to life
- Network and make connections
- Discover exciting new adventures in your community
- Grow your talents
- Explore new interests
- Deepen friendships, old and new
- Indulge all of your senses
- Develop your leadership skills
- Find delightful new ways to relax
- Expand your creative expression
- Give back to your community
- Fill your days with meaning
- Master new skills such as how to navigate the computer, create a personal budget and keep-up on current events
Why we look forward to you joining us. What we have found is once people are given the opportunity to express themselves through the arts, movement and multimedia, they become eager to explore and learn new information.
That’s why we look forward to meeting you and discovering your interests. We have seen enthusiasm take root for learning about fiber arts, dance, literature, language, technology, history, poetry, music, theatre, art and jewelry design. We have also noticed that people who participate, dive into learning and apply what they learn because the material is hands-on, exciting and tailored to their needs.
What to expect:
- At the outset of services, we will listen to your interests and needs. Together we will develop a personalized plan for creating a rich day experience for you.
- Once services begin, you can expect to receive a monthly calendar in the mail.
- You will have the opportunity to register for whatever classes or events interest you.
- Space in classes is on a first-come, first-serve basis so we ask you to register early.
- We offer a variety of classes each day. These change on a quarterly basis.
- In addition, there are often community based activities or day trips that you might choose to attend.
- If you have a particular interest, let us know and we will make it a priority to create an experience you will enjoy.
- Anyone who is receiving day funding through Rhode Island Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) can call us to contract for these services.
- If you are not receiving funding but would like to, please visit the DDD website for eligibility and contact information.
- If you are not authorized or eligible for funding through DDD, but would like to attend any of our activities, please call us to discuss your needs.
- Program Administrator, Michele Banks at 401-847-0960 ext. 26 or email Michele